Update on New Environmental Goals
Because our greatest sustainability risks and opportunities are in the environmental focus area, we developed additional goals in 2007 to reduce our air, water and waste footprints. This is the first year we are reporting progress on these goals. Highlights include:
- We exceeded our 2008 goal to reduce the nitrogen oxides (NOx) emission rate by 10 percent and the sulfur dioxide (SO2) emission rate by 35 percent from the coal-fired power plants we operate, and we have set equally aggressive targets for 2009.
- We finalized our methodology to calculate vehicle fleet emissions and compiled 2006 through 2008 data. This will enable us to report progress on our goal to reduce emissions 35 percent by 2012, compared to 2006.
- We are on track to reduce low-level radioactive waste (Class B and C) generated at our nuclear power plants 25 percent by 2012, compared to the 2002-2005 average.
- We are also on course to increase the amount of coal combustion products that are beneficially used 10 percent by 2012, compared to 2007.
- We completed water balance surveys to better understand water usage at our Carolinas power plants, and continue to collaborate with stakeholders to address drought conditions and long-term water management.