About This Report
This 2008|2009 Sustainability Report is the third annual update we’ve produced. It builds on our previous reports and focuses on the issues that we and our stakeholders identify as most material: our efforts to reduce our environmental footprint, develop new technologies for a low-carbon future and operate as a sustainable, significant and substantial business.
Again this year, our 2008 Summary Annual Report and this 2008|2009 Sustainability Report share a common theme: Redefining our Boundaries. I encourage you to read both publications to see the linkage between our sustainability and financial plans.
This report has been organized as follows:
- Jim Rogers’ letter to stakeholders highlights the most significant developments with our sustainability goals over the past year.
- Our sustainability plan and progress “at a glance” begins here.
- Summary environmental data begin here.
- The remainder of the report provides more updates organized by our five areas of focus.
- A summary index to the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) indicators is here. A more detailed index to the GRI indicators can be found at www.duke-energy.com/environment/sustainability.asp. Based on information in this report and on our Web site, we believe we meet GRI Guidelines Application Level B.
New in the 2008|2009 report:
- To cross-reference information from last year’s Sustainability Report or offer additional context, we provide web links and definitions of terms in this online report.
- Q&As with leaders from two stakeholder organizations, as well as Duke Energy’s executives in charge of smart grid, strategy and human resources.
- An update on how we interpret sustainability at Duke Energy – what we call our “sustainability filter” for actions and decisions.
In 2009, we will be updating our sustainability plan and measures to reflect input from stakeholders and our rapidly changing business environment.
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback about this report. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Vice President and
Chief Sustainability Officer
March 31, 2009